Friday, January 21, 2011

Welcome to my blog

I'd like to welcome you to my blog. I am a writer of poetry, prose fiction and non-fiction as well as TV drama and film scripts. I am based in Dublin, Ireland. My book The Return Journey & Our Friends Electric: Two Novellas was published by Ward Wood (London) in February 2011. My debut poetry collection, In the Library of Lost Objects, was published in summer, 2011, again with Ward Wood. It was shortlisted for the 2012 Strong Award for best debut collection by an Irish poet.

I had hoped to post once a week and discuss topics including poetry, fiction and screenwriting, among other things, though as time has gone on I realise I'm more interested in developing projects to air over a series of posts.

To start this blog proper, I will be writing short reflections on about twenty poems that have shaped my own interest in the form. All of the pieces I wish to discuss are from the modern canon. Where audio is available for a poem I will link to that where possible. In some cases, I'm sure you will will be familiar with the piece, or have a copy already somewhere on the bookshelf. In an earlier life I studied Experimental Physics so I'm also very interested in the relationship between art and science so I hope to write about this issue at some point.

I have been publishing work widely in journals since the mid-90s and some of these are now available online. You will also be able to find samples of my poetry and prose, as well as reviews and links, on my own website; http://noelduffy.net. More information about my books can also be found at my publisher's site: http://www.wardwoodpublishing.co.uk/

I very much hope you enjoy my sporadic musings here.


*


A Note on Copyright (2017)

I am aware that I have cited copyrighted material on this blog from its beginnings in 2011. I truly believe that it is important that artists' rights are respected and acknowledged. I view my use of this material as educational rather than commercial. Given the traffic I receive on the site I could monetise it but have never choose to do so for the above reasons. It's hard enough to make a living as an artist (of any kind) so I would never attempt to profit from anyone else's hard won work.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere. You already made me chuckle with this post and I can't wait to see which poems you're going to choose to discuss. This makes me think of the very first poems that made me realise I loved poetry as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems a great way to theme a blog. I shall be looking forward to sharing your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to find that you are joining the world of the bloggers. I'll follow you if you follow me...actually, I'll follow you anyway. I just ordered you book, too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete