Saturday, May 25, 2013

Articles and Interviews

I've been a very lazy blogger indeed this last year or more. In my defense, I've been working hard on writing my second collection and feel I have just crawled from my cave, blinking into the daylight! I very much hope to step things up and post more as I approach the publication of said second collection, On Light & Carbon, in October.




In the meantime, here are some links to various articles and interviews I've done over the last 18 months or so, mostly on the theme of poetry and science, but also on poetry and Irish Culture.

So here they are. My sincere thanks to all the folk who thought it worth their while to ask me to participate in these (hopefully) interesting exchanges!





An interview with Jho Harris about my my novellas and poetry as well as a reading from me from In the Library of Lost Objects. It can can be found at Podcast.ie. ‘Voices From Ireland Series’. 
http://www.podcasts.ie/featured-writers/featured-poets/noel-duffy/






My poem ‘Rock Ammonite’ features on the University of Liverpool’s Centre for Poetry & Science website. You’ll find a commentary by me on the poem as well as a short article on the relationship between poetry and science in my work. So here it is: Rock Ammonite



My short article on ‘The Poetry of Science’ appeared in Poetry Ireland News ahead of the ‘Science Meets Poetry’ event at the Euroscience Open Forum (ESOF), the largest science conference in Europe, which was held in Dublin from 11th-15th July, 2012. 

http://www.poetryireland.ie/writers/articles/the-poetry-of-science



This one is an interview with poet, fellow-physics graduate and blogger Kate Dempsey about the writing process, the role of science in my poetry and the sometimes fraught process of trying to get published. I also talk to Kate about working towards completing my second collection. 






Here's a substantial interview I did with Mel Ulm about writing and Irish culture for his excellent blog Rereading Lives. My thanks to him for taking the time to talk at such length.

http://rereadinglives.blogspot.ie/2013/04/noel-duffy-question-and-answer-session.html





And finally, a two part interview with novelist Shauna Gilligan on her blog 'A Girl's Writing is Never Done' on the eve of publishing On Light & Carbon. My sincere thanks to Shauna for allowing me to chat about the collection at length and particularly, in part two, about the long poem 'Timepieces'.

Interview: Part One
Interview: Part Two



Nice to have all these in one place, I guess.

6 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed these, Noel - especially the Mel U Q&A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew, really glad you enjoyed the pieces. Yes, Mel's Q&A was a bit different and had some tricky questions,so delighted you liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your second collection, Noel - I hope that Adele will organise a launch in London as well as one in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matthew, that is so nice to read! Will definitely have a Dublin launch for this one, but not sure yet about London - it may be on the cards. I'm sure Adele - as well as myself - will flag if we manage to arrange something. Would love to make back to London, so keep you - and everyone - posted!

      Delete
  4. Hello again Noel,

    Just to say that I've been very much enjoying On Carbon and Light. I said last night to Adele that I thought 'Timepieces' in particular is fabulous, the way it tells a wonderful story whilst going off on tangents and coming back to the main thread. great stuff.

    Cheers,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Matthew,

      Thanks so much for the kind words about the collection, but especially 'Timepieces'. I have been quite nervous about that one, wondering if I could keep the reader involved in such a long piece. So your generous remarks about it are both music to my ears and a great relief. Thank you for letting me know.

      All best for now,

      Noel

      Delete