Wednesday, August 2, 2017

There is a light that enters a house... Franz Wright / David Sylvian

It's been a quiet time here at Ampersand, both in terms of my contribution and receiving visitors. I guess it is seasonal and this being summer things are quiet, naturally.

To break my silence, here is a wonderful collaboration. David Sylvian recorded some poems by Franz Wright, the Pulitzer winning American poet, in 2014. Wright was battling cancer at the time and what is most compelling about these poems is how directly Wright deals with his own mortality. Sylvian put these poems to a (continuous) musical setting and the result is a truly beautiful collaboration, released as the album There is a light that enters a house when no other house is in sight.

Franz Wright heard the finished record and, I have it on good authority, felt the project very worthwhile and satisfying. Sadly, he died, after long illness, in May 2015 around the time of the album's release.

Just to say, I don't like to post copyrighted material in full here on my blog. People like Sylvian, and Wright himself, gave us a gift in this piece and in many others. I decided to post it as it has been available on YouTube for some time now, so I can only assume Samadhi Sound don't object to it being so. If they ever do and pull it, that would be completely understandable.

In general, I would say that in contemporary culture the production of art simply isn't valued in monetary terms. Free, or near free, content is the technologist's dream and an artist's worse nightmare. If you enjoy this, please do support the artists involved in buying the recording (or by listening on Spotify) and also by buying the poetry collections that catch your eye. Trust me, this gives writers great encouragement.

Okay, enough of that. For now, here is this beautifully haunting piece. It is perhaps one for the poetry purest but more than worth the journey, though best listened to as late night fair as it runs to just over an hour. Sit back, recline and listen with an open mind. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!








No comments:

Post a Comment